Dog rescued from Crestview Gardens fire

hw-logoBy New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — Firefighters rescued a dog from a Crestview Gardens apartment Wednesday night after fire broke out in the kitchen.

The New Castle Fire Department was summoned around 9:15 to an apartment building 1149 Pin Oak Drive, where fire had broken out in the kitchen of a second-floor unit and spread to wall coverings and cabinets.

All residents of the eight apartments in the building were safely outside when firefighters arrived, according to a fire department report.

In extinguishing the blaze, firefighters opened the kitchen ceiling to examine the attic area because the building  shares a common roof, the report said.

The firefighters contained the blaze to the kitchen, where they found a stove burner turned on medium-high heat and the burner to be red.

They had electrical power shut off to all of the apartments.



The apartment’s tenant told fire investigators that she had not been home all day and had eaten supper at a friend’s home. She said she had not cooked anything for several days and did not know how the stove had been turned on, according to the report.

She said she was sleeping on her couch when she awoke to smell smoke and found fire in her kitchen, she told firemen. She advised the firefighters that her dog was still inside the apartment.

They reported that they found the dog hiding under the living room couch and it appeared to have been unharmed, but ambulance personnel at the scene gave it oxygen as a precaution.

The first-floor apartments had water in the kitchen light fixtures, on the floor and in the fuse boxes.

Read more: http://www.ncnewsonline.com/update/x1760131510/Dog-rescued-from-Crestview-Gardens-fire

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.