Neighbor rescues dog from Highland Avenue fire

By New Castle News

The Douglas family was not home when the attic fan in their Highland Avenue home caught fire yesterday.

But thanks to a neighbor, who was not identified, their dog escaped safely.

 Assistant Fire Chief Mike Kobbe said a neighbor saw flames coming from the attic of a home at 2208 Highland and forced open the door to the house, then went inside to look for the dog.

He found the dog, a medium sized beagle mix, and got it out safely. The family’s other animals, which included another dog, two fish and a bird, were not injured. Phillip and Kayla Douglas and their four children live in the house, which is owned by Holly Hampe, according to the report.

Kobbe said the fire started in an exhaust fan in the attic and flames were visible from the roof when firefighters arrived.

Damage was estimated at $2,500 to $3,000. Kobbe said the electricity had to be turned off for repairs and that the Red Cross would be putting the family up temporarily.

Read more: http://www.ncnewsonline.com/news/article_bec46700-322f-11e4-bce4-001a4bcf887a.html

 

Leave a Reply