Firefighters battled a two-alarm fire in Allentown Thursday morning.
According to officials at the scene, the fire broke out at 22 Allen Street around 6 a.m.
Trejawn Steals, 11, was sleeping inside of his home on Allen Street when the fire broke out.
He was with his grandparents when they smelled it.
“When I woke up, I smelled smoke so we called the fire department and then ran out of the house,” Steals said.
Authorities believe it was a candle that sparked the blaze when the flame lit curtains on fire and then spread throughout the house.
Next door neighbor Chris Puder says the flames were several feet tall and reached over the second floor of his home.
“I thought my house was gone. When I saw the flames going over the roof, I thought it was over. You heard the glass breaking, I guess the fire was breaking the windows out and the only thing I thought of was just to get out of there,” he said.
Both Puder and Steals’ families were allowed back inside of their homes. It’s unclear if the family where the fire started will be allowed to stay at the home due to the damage to the second and third floors.