A firefighter from Yukon VFC captured a December 30th, 2014 structure fire in South Huntingdon Twp with their helmet cam.
The structure was full involved upon arrival and also had interior collapse forcing units on scene to go to an exterior attack.
At approximately 9:45am on Sunday, October 26, 2014, emergency crews were dispatched to a residential structure fire with entrapment in the 600 block of Grant Avenue in the city of Duquesne.
Duquesne fire units arrived on scene to find heavy black smoke and flames showing and requested a second alarm.
Initial interior crews were able to find the fire and get the fire knocked down in about 15 minutes. Truck crews cut a hole in the roof for ventilation.
The trapped person was rescued and transported to a Pittsburgh hospital.
Units on scene from 1st alarm: 133 Duquesne, 294 Duquesne Annex, 161 Glassport, 171 Homestead, 184 Lincoln, 195 Monroeville 5.
Units on scene from 2nd alarm: 293 Homeville, 131 Dravosburg, 200 Munhall #1.
By Ashley Doerzbacher – WTAJ
ALTOONA – The fire inspector has ruled an early morning fire in the City of Altoona accidental. Tim Hughes, fire inspector for the Altoona Fire Department, said the fire started after a child inside this house here caught the couch on fire, while playing with a cigarette lighter.
Fire broke out here in the 300-block of Lexington Avenue. The fire was fully involved by the time crews arrived. It took about 40 minutes to get that fire under control, nearly two hours to put out completely.
A family of 7 lived inside the home, and everyone was out of the house by the time crews got there. At least four of them were taken to UPMC Altoona and treated for minor injuries. The Red Cross is helping the family.
Three fire fighters were also were taken to the hospital and treated for ankle sprains and heat exhaustion. Those fire fighters are at home recovering.
“I’m glad that our firefighters only had minor injuries,” said Deputy Chief Mike Tofano, of the Altoona Police Department. “It’s certainly a strenuous and dangerous job, but it’s one that our guys are trained to do.”
By David Highfield – KDKA
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Flames were relentless as they spread through the roof of the Hill Top United Methodist Church in Pittsburgh’s Allentown neighborhood Thursday afternoon.
Church members were forced to watch a building burn where so many memorable moments in life have happened for them.
Rev. Sue Hutchins says some workers were resealing part of the roof when it’s believed the fire started.
“Using a hot torch or something, and in that process they caught the church roof on the fire, and as they tried to put it out it was engulfed almost immediately,” said Rev. Hutchins.
She says the church is also the Allentown Senior Center, and she rushed over to make sure the few seniors inside at the time got out safely.
Pittsburgh Fire Chief Darryl Jones says he was concerned for his firefighters’ safety because of a fear of a backdraft or that the roof would collapse.
Crews were dispatched to a house fire in West Mifflin this morning at the intersection of McClure Avenue and Skylark Avenue. The fire was in a large two story house, with fire through the roof.
Units from West Mifflin, Munhall, Homestead, Duquesne, Glassport, and Whitaker are all on scene working to contain the fire with numerous other departments providing standbys.
Check back for further updates.
Here is some coverage from around the web:
By Christine D’Antonio – KDKA
KNOXVILLE (KDKA)- An 8-year-old girl is being hailed as a hero for getting her sister safely out of a fire in Knoxville Wednesday morning.
According to officials at the scene. the fire started around 2 a.m. at a home in the 100-block of Zara Street.
When crews arrived, heavy fire and smoke was coming out of the second floor.
An 8-year-old girl and her 18-year-old sister were sleeping on the second floor. The 8-year-old smelled smoke, woke up and began screaming and yelling to wake up her sister.
“We [were] asleep and the candle caught on to something. She woke up and woke me up out of my sleep, and got us out of the house,” said Naquala Crosby.
The girls’ mother, Nicole Dillard, was not home at the time of the fire. But, she says her 8-year-old daughter saved her life too.
“Yeah, she saved my life because if I would have lost the life of them, I don’t know what would’ve have happened. So, yeah she saved my life too,” said Dillard.
By WTAJ News
PORTAGE, CAMBRIA COUNTY – A small town restaurant favorite went up in flames Tuesday afternoon.
For more than two hours, firefighters battled a fire at the Portage Bakery along Main Street.
Eight fire departments responded to the Cambria County blaze around 3:30pm.
The fire marshal will be on scene to determine what started the fire.
Two firefighters were hurt but not seriously.
One of those firefighters went to the hospital for heat exhaustion.