Tag: apartment fire

Fire damages apartment building in Arnold

072114-arnold-house-fireBy Braden Ashe – photo by Dan Speicher / Tribune-Review

Firefighters spent more than two hours Sunday morning extinguishing an apartment building fire at Drey Street and Kenneth Avenue in Arnold.

Arnold fire Chief J.C. Tedorski said crews responded about 6 a.m. to a report of a first-floor fire in the two-story building. When they arrived, he said, a “heavy amount of flames” was showing from a first-floor window and spreading through the second story to the roof.

Tenants in all four of the brick building’s apartments were home when the fire started but safely evacuated without injury, according to Tedorski.

Arnold, New Kensington and Lower Burrell firefighters began immediately combating the first-story flames before turning their attention to the roof, where the fire was spreading rapidly.

“Once the fire got in between the ceiling and the roof, it ran through the whole area,” Tedorski said. “It’s an old building — really well constructed — so there was a lot of heavy, hard work being done to break through the ceiling from the interior to take care of the hot spots up there.”

West Penn Power crews responded about 45 minutes into the call to de-energize a power line to the house that was raining sparks on the firefighters below.

“They were able to cut it down without interrupting power to any of the other houses, but there were some intense moments as the wire was melting,” Tedorski said. “It was burning off the side of the house and sparking. It could have posed a real problem.”

Read more

Dog rescued from Crestview Gardens fire

hw-logoBy New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — Firefighters rescued a dog from a Crestview Gardens apartment Wednesday night after fire broke out in the kitchen.

The New Castle Fire Department was summoned around 9:15 to an apartment building 1149 Pin Oak Drive, where fire had broken out in the kitchen of a second-floor unit and spread to wall coverings and cabinets.

All residents of the eight apartments in the building were safely outside when firefighters arrived, according to a fire department report.

In extinguishing the blaze, firefighters opened the kitchen ceiling to examine the attic area because the building  shares a common roof, the report said.

The firefighters contained the blaze to the kitchen, where they found a stove burner turned on medium-high heat and the burner to be red.

They had electrical power shut off to all of the apartments.

Read more

Several Tenants Displaced By East Liberty Apartment Building Fire

071614-east-liberty-apartment-fireBy Brenda Waters – KDKA

EAST LIBERTY (KDKA) – People evacuated an apartment building in Pittsburgh’s East Liberty neighborhood in the middle of the night Tuesday. It was a close call for one woman.

Red glowing lights from fire engines lit up North Euclid Avenue just before midnight.

“We received a call mid-evening for a report of a stove on fire,” Battalion Chief John Walsh with the Pittsburgh Fire Department said. “Crews arrived on the scene and found heavy smoke on the second floor, heavy fire emanating from the rear of the building on the second floor.”

For one resident, those flames and smoke were just a little too close. Kiersten Sands lived on the second floor, right next door to the unit that was on fire.

“I went to my front door to try to get out,” Sands said. “When I opened my front door, there were flames coming in, so I shut it and got a towel and stuck it underneath, then I ran to my back door and there were flames coming in.”

In darkness, she made it down the fire escape.

Walsh stated that no injuries were reported, and the fire was quickly contained. Read more

Firefighters Save Wedding, Prom Dresses From Verona Fire

032414-verona-fireBy Lynne Hayes-Freeland – KDKA

Firefighters saved some very special dresses from the scene of an apartment fire in Verona.

It started Sunday evening at an apartment building above Gloria’s Fixations, an alteration shop, on East Railroad Avenue.

But as firefighters worked to put out the blaze, they also made sure to save some things from the bottom floor of the building: wedding and prom dresses that were being altered.

“There was a wedding in about … a week-and-a-half,” said Verona Mayor Dave Ricupero, “and the dresses were all in there and they went in there and they saved the dress.”

The fire was contained to the second floor, but firefighters from three communities worked to put it out.

“It was a hot fire before we got here, it was rolling pretty good,” said Verona Fire Chief Ray Suchevich. “So we got a lot of fire knocked down before we could get inside and then once we got inside, the roof collapsed, so we had to pull our guys out.”

Many of the dresses have smoke damage and it’s unclear if they can be saved, but it’s better than them going up in flames.

Suchevich says the prom dresses can be replaced, since most dances aren’t until May, but firefighters felt it was especially important to grab the wedding dresses.

“We felt it was important to get the wedding dresses to see if we could save those, because the wedding is in two weeks,” he said.

The Red Cross is also providing clothing, shelter and food for three adults and one child who lived above the shop.

Read more: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/03/23/firefighters-fight-blaze-at-verona-apartment/

Pet Rescue and No Reported Injuries in Dubois Apartment Fire

021014-dubois-apartment-fireBy Lauren Hensley / WJAC

CLEARFIELD COUNTY, Pa.– Ten apartments along the 100 block of East Par Avenue in DuBois all went up in flames Saturday afternoon. Katrina Mosley and Brett Ross were both at work when they heard their apartment was on fire-Rushing to the scene, they both said they could only think about their beloved pet turtle, Gir.

“I didn’t think there was any way because of how the flames were rolling by,” Katrina Mosley said, doubting her turtle would make it out alive.

“He doesn’t have a big water container he can crawl in, so I was afraid the smoke and fire would get to him,” Brett Ross said.

The turtle’s fate seemed sealed. It was with a heavy heart the two mourned the loss of their pet.  But, the unbelievable did happen, when a firefighter emerged from the smoke with Gir.

“Oh my,” Mosley said as she dialed the number to reach Ross to let him know their pet was alive.  “He is alive,” she said. The young couple said firefighters went above and beyond to put out the fire and rescue Gir.

Read more

Several Displaced After South Side Apartment Building Fire

020514-south-side-fireBy Trina Orlando – KDKA

SOUTH SIDE (KDKA) – Several people were displaced after their South Side apartment building caught fire early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were called to the 900-block of East Carson Street around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.

When they arrived, smoke was coming from all three floors of the three story building.

It took them about three hours to extinguish the flames. However, firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to neighboring buildings, but the damage is extensive.

Janet Khalil and her husband have owned the South Side building for more than 25 years.

Khalil says she was in shock when she heard about the fire.

The Khalil’s daughter has run the Sphinx Cafe on the ground floor of the building since 2003.

Read more

Fire Destroys Apartment Building in Meadville

012914-meadville-apartment-fireBy Keith Gushard – Meadville Tribune

MEADVILLE — Mackenzie Leehan thought he noticed an odd odor in his girlfriend’s third-floor apartment Tuesday afternoon, but didn’t think too much about it.

About three hours later, Leehan and several others were running for their lives out of the apartment building at 390 Chestnut St. as smoke and flames tore through the upper stories, destroying the building.

“I smelled something a couple of hours ago that I think smelled a little strange,” Leehan said just after 6 p.m. as he stood out in the cold at Liberty and Chestnut streets watching the massive masonry building burn. “The apartment never smelled like that. It was not really even a burning smell — just something off.”

There are 12 apartments in the building and all the residents had been accounted for, a stunned John Labruzzo of Labruzzo Properties LLC of Meadville, said Tuesday night. Labruzzo Properties owns the building and Labruzzo and his brother, Joe, are partners in the business.

“It’s just a shame,” Labruzzo said. “There are people who lost everything. It’s kind of tough. I’m glad they all got out.”

Read more