There is a long list today to get caught back up since we missed a couple of days.
- There was a fatal accident in Allegheny Twp on Rt 56 last night. [WTAE]
- Two were injured in a crash in Upper Burrell. There were claims the engine from the car traveled 50 feet away from the car due to the impact. [WTAE]
Upper Burrell Crash - WTAE
- The driver was injured in an accident in Georges Twp, in Fayette county. [WTAE]
Georges Twp Rollover - WTAE
- Pittsburgh firefighters fought a vacant house fire in Oakland. One source stated it was raccoons that started the fire. Was that just a cover up for a possible rat problem? [WTAE]
- Accusations that a Crafton Heights Apartment Fire was intentionally set due to a domestic dispute. [WPXI]
- Unity firefighters rescued a child, cat, bird from a tree. As funny as that sounds, it seems like the family was very happy to get the bird back. Good PR move on Unity’s part. [Tribune-Review]
- To wrap things up, Glassport had another vacant house fire. Appears an arsonist may be on the loose again down there. [WPXI]
photo by Chris "Jell-o" Negley
3-11-2009 at 21:00 Stations 167, 168, 169, and 110 EMS were dispatched to a working structure fire at The Village Green Apartments Harrison Twp, Natrona Heights, PA. 169 Chief first onscene advised a light smoke condition in the 2nd floor apartment. Station 281 RIT dispatched to the scene. Crew found a working structure fire in the apartments bedroom. Crew had a good knock down in the fire within 10 minutes of orrigional dispatch. County Maintenance was called to the scene due to the apartments being run by Allegheny county. The fire marshall was also called to the scene. No injuries were reported. The family was being assisted by Salvation Army and Red Cross.
photo submitted by Alan Harff
Here are a few pictures submitted by Alan Harff of a large fire that occurred on March 5th, 2009 at 211 Main Street in Irwin Boro at the Irwin Hotel.
05/16/2004 – Wilkinsburg Apartment Fire
1100 block of Coal Street
Apartment Fire in Wilkinsburg that left 15 people homeless. Wilkinsburg crews were assisted by crews from the city of Pittsburgh.
These pictures courtesy Tony Sciscent
03/09/2004 – Wilmerding Apartment Fire
Pictures and report courtesy Shane Spielvogle
Approx 18:00 hrs on 3/9/04
Units on scene:
Wilmerding 306-2, Service 306
Turtle Creek Engine 1, Truck 1, Truck 4
United Truck 287, Squad 287, Engine 135-1, Squad 135
Monroeville Truck 4, Rescue 4
Eastern Area Prehospital Services
Apparent garbage set on fire on third floor of a mostly vacant apartment building. Investigation underway by ACFM.
8/14/2003 – Apartment Fire – City of Pittsburgh
On Thursday, August 14, 2003 at approximately 10:20p.m. City of Pittsburgh EOC received multiple calls reporting a fire at the Highland Hills Apartments located on Oakhill Road in the Banksville section of the City of Pittsburgh. First arriving units reported heavy fire and smoke showing from the upper floor of a large multi-unit apartment complex. The incident quickly escalated to a 5-alarm fire. Crews were ordered out of the building as the roof was ready to collapse. Firefighters set up for a defensive attack and were able to bring the blaze under control by approximately 11:30p.m. Crews remained on the scene for an extended period of time, performing extensive overhaul operations. A 30-year-old Coraopolis man has been arrested and charged in connection with starting the intense blaze.
Pictures Provided by: Dave Novak, Brian Kravec, Kevin Hogan