Moon Twp House Explosion – photo via WTAE
A house on Convair Drive in Moon Twp exploded today just before 4pm.
The explosion occurred right after children got off a school bus, causing them to scatter.
Reports are that no one was home at the time of the explosion, and there were no injuries reported. Two dogs were inside at the time of the explosion and they were transported to a local vet office and are believed to be in good condition.
This is the second home to explode in Moon in recent years, with one occurring in 2013 on Charlton Heights Road see article here.
The cause is under investigation.
By Jenna Staul – moon.patch.com
A man was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital with burn injuries after a three-car blaze at the Polo Club apartment complex.
DeAngelo Hill, 25, of Moon, was found laying on the ground at the scene of the fire, which sparked at 2 a.m. Wednesday on Bridle Trail.
Hill, who was found highly intoxicated and unresponsive, had burn marks on his face, Moon Police said in a report. His breathing was shallow.
UPMC Mercy could not be reached for comment on Hill’s condition.
Police said a Dodge Avenger parked outside of the complex caught fire and was fully engulfed in flames when authorities arrived.
Here are your firefighting and rescue headlines for Western Pennsylvania, for Thursday, August 27th.
- There was a two alarm house fire in Kennedy Twp this morning on Sunset Drive. [WPXI]
- The Allegheny County Fire Marshal is investigating a huge barn fire at the Montour Heights Country Club this morning in Moon Twp. At this point, the fire does not appear to be suspicious. [KDKA]
Moon Twp - photo by KDKA
- Pittsburgh International Airport held a mock disaster drill yesterday. Per the FAA, a mock disaster drill must be completed at least once every three years. [Tribune-Review]
photo by Joe Appel/Tribune-Review
- Ten vehicles were damaged by fire at Taylor Auto Repair & Sales in the Overbrook section of Pittsburgh yesterday. [Tribune-Review]
- Also Tuesday into Wednesday, crews in Lincoln were called to assist with rescuing a male out of the woods in Dead Man’s Hollow. A firefighter suffered a leg injury due to a chainsaw during the rescue. The firefighter is home resting after receiving treatment at a local hospital. [WTAE]
Here is a look at your Western PA Fire Rescue news for Sunday, June 28th, 2009. Pretty slow weekend all things considered. Hopefully things will stay quiet for a while.
- Yesterday there was a fatal motorcycle accident in Moon Township. [Tribune-Review]
- Chartiers was the scene of a fatal vehicle accident overnight. The driver was killed despite wearing a seatbelt, and a passenger was injured and flown to Allegheny General Hospital. [Tribune-Review]
- Four people were rescued from the Beaver River in Taylor Twp, Lawrence County yesterday. Reports are that one of the people pulled out has died though. Apparently the boaters were in a canoe that capsized. KDKA has the report and some video on their site. [KDKA]
River Rescue - KDKA
- A police officer crashed his cruiser in North Braddock last night. [WTAE]
- Lastly, in Erie a tractor trailer hauling materials for “Extreme Makeover Home Edition” had a little trouble and rolled over on his side. Luckily no one was hurt, but most of his load was destroyed pushed the project back a little bit. I hate when that happens! [WICU12]
By Jodi Weigand
A woman died this morning when a CSX train struck her car in Moon, authorities said.
Moon police are investigating the accident, which happened about 2:30 a.m. near the Sewickley Bridge and University Boulevard, a police dispatcher said.
The woman’s name was being withheld until her family was notified, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office.
The rail line runs along the Ohio River and is owned by CSX Corp.
The train involved in the crash had three locomotives and 71 cars, said CSX spokesman Gary Sease. The train was traveling from Cumberland, Md., to Chicago, he said.