Firefighters battled a two-alarm fire in Allentown Thursday morning.
According to officials at the scene, the fire broke out at 22 Allen Street around 6 a.m.
Trejawn Steals, 11, was sleeping inside of his home on Allen Street when the fire broke out.
He was with his grandparents when they smelled it.
“When I woke up, I smelled smoke so we called the fire department and then ran out of the house,” Steals said.
Authorities believe it was a candle that sparked the blaze when the flame lit curtains on fire and then spread throughout the house.
By Brenda Waters – KDKA
SOUTH OAKLAND (KDKA)- Fire crews had their hands full with a quick-moving fire in South Oakland Friday morning.
The fire started around 2:30 a.m. at a home on Orpwood Street, near the intersection with Parkview Ave.
Neighbors tell us that the two homes are used as apartments for students at nearby colleges like Pitt and Carnegie Mellon University.
Those students watched as flames lit up the Oakland sky, as firefighters battled what seemed like never-ending flames.
Fire fully engulfed one home and by the time firefighters got on scene, a second home caught fire too.
Only two charred frames were left by Friday morning.
By David Highfield – KDKA
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Flames were relentless as they spread through the roof of the Hill Top United Methodist Church in Pittsburgh’s Allentown neighborhood Thursday afternoon.
Church members were forced to watch a building burn where so many memorable moments in life have happened for them.
Rev. Sue Hutchins says some workers were resealing part of the roof when it’s believed the fire started.
“Using a hot torch or something, and in that process they caught the church roof on the fire, and as they tried to put it out it was engulfed almost immediately,” said Rev. Hutchins.
She says the church is also the Allentown Senior Center, and she rushed over to make sure the few seniors inside at the time got out safely.
Pittsburgh Fire Chief Darryl Jones says he was concerned for his firefighters’ safety because of a fear of a backdraft or that the roof would collapse.
By Christine D’Antonio – KDKA
KNOXVILLE (KDKA)- An 8-year-old girl is being hailed as a hero for getting her sister safely out of a fire in Knoxville Wednesday morning.
According to officials at the scene. the fire started around 2 a.m. at a home in the 100-block of Zara Street.
When crews arrived, heavy fire and smoke was coming out of the second floor.
An 8-year-old girl and her 18-year-old sister were sleeping on the second floor. The 8-year-old smelled smoke, woke up and began screaming and yelling to wake up her sister.
“We [were] asleep and the candle caught on to something. She woke up and woke me up out of my sleep, and got us out of the house,” said Naquala Crosby.
The girls’ mother, Nicole Dillard, was not home at the time of the fire. But, she says her 8-year-old daughter saved her life too.
“Yeah, she saved my life because if I would have lost the life of them, I don’t know what would’ve have happened. So, yeah she saved my life too,” said Dillard.
PITTSBURGH —Dozens of people were treated after showing signs of heat exhaustion during a concert Tuesday night at Stage AE on the North Shore.
People at the Austin Mahone concert began falling ill a little after 8 p.m.
Emergency responders treated 38 people, eight of whom were taken to the hospital.
One of the patients, a 14-year-old girl, was taken to UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/heat-exhaustion-at-stage-ae-concert/27751474#ixzz3Bb58Xl00
By Christine D’Antonio – KDKA
BRIGHTON HEIGHTS (KDKA)- A lawn care truck slammed into several vehicles, went through a yard and crashed into a home early Monday morning in Brighton Heights
According to police, the incident happened around 12:45 a.m. along Termon Avenue.
The A&N Lawn Service truck hit Lora Bray’s home.
“We were both sleeping, all of the sudden we heard a big crash – and my daughter screamed, ‘Mommy, mommy did you hear that?’ I jumped out, looked out the front bedroom window, that’s when I saw this truck,” said Bray.
By the time Bray got dressed and ran downstairs, the driver was already gone.
“I did hear the person try to back the truck up. They were trying to start it, but it kept stalling, so they weren’t able to move the truck. But, by the time I was able to get dressed, come out the front door, they were gone,” said Bray.
By Marty Griffin – KDKA
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Quicker call times and greater efficiency. That’s what City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County officials are saying about the consolidation of 911 service.
It has been a long and controversial process, but leaders say it was well worth the wait.
Mayor Bill Peduto and County Executive Rich Fitzgerald say the county and the city must work together to consolidate every service possible, including 911.
“This is kind of the final step of consolidating the city and county operations together,” said Fitzgerald. “They’ve been located in the same place together, but now there’s going to be actual sameness, if you will.”
“It creates greater efficiency, it creates the ability for the call times to become much less. It allows a better opportunity for the responders to be their earlier to be able to save lives,” added Peduto.
All of this will start rolling next week with training. The consolidation is expected to be completed by mid-September.